After returning form the Eurobike in September 2016 to find my new bike for 2017, I was frustrated.
Most bike companies offer similar standard bikes in countless variations to choose of but none of them really cached me. Most bikes have no real USP nor UAP and most impotently no bike inspired me, so returned home empty-handed.
Not quite, I found a few components, that fit my expectations. We this in mind I started an interesting journey that will lead me to my new bike for 2017. The path is not nice nor straight and there are some steep uphill's and bumpy parts, but that's exactly my preferred terrain.
Custom build is the only option to get the bike that fulfills my vision for 2017.
After a couple weeks of brainstorming and conception I finally defined to run an experiment in 2017.
The OSPA project was born. OSPA is a nearly indestructible multipurpose-performance bike that requires only One Service Per Annum (1x yearly).
I am currently on a kind of a virtual roadshow contacting the companies of my preferred parts for the OSPA bike, to see if they are as enthusiastic about the OSPA experiment as I am.
The Rinse & Ride Mission
OSPA is a nearly indestructible multipurpose-performance bike that requires only One Service Per Annum (1x yearly).
This bike consists of selected components that follow the *SLCFE principle.
The rider can fully rely on his bike, concentrate on the road/trail and enjoy his ride. After the
*SLCFE stands for Simple, Lean, Consistent, Fast, Economic
Want an example?
Lets take the Lauf fork from Island. Lauf forks use four sets of three fibreglass strips as the leaf springs. These connect the carbon fibre legs of the fork to the two lowers that carry the axle and brake caliper. The whole thing is very light (under a kilo) and gives you 60mm of undamped travel.
Here is how this correlates with the SLCFE principle:
- Simple - the fork has no moving parts, nothing to adjust and service, just ride
- Lean - with the wight of 990 grams the Lauf is the leanest suspension fork on the market (to be fair we need to mention, that the travel of 60mm is also fairly lean ;-)
- Consistent - the fork fits into any standard bike, so it can be applied or replaced constantly
- Fast - thanks to the sensitive fibre legs, the fork reacts extremely quick/fast to tiny bumps. Also the lightness has a positive influence to the speed of the bike
- Economic - as the fork is maintenance free, the higher purchase price is more than compensated after one year, not to mention what that means in the course 5 year warranty one gets on every Lauf fork.
Learn more about the Lauf fork on http://www.laufforks.com
The preliminary plan for the OSPA project
A MARK OF SIMPLICITY
The OSPA logo is a simple circle, standing for:
- the symbol of the wheel - the mankind most important invention
- the circle of of life, always returning to the its origin
- 0 aka zero - meaning no distraction but full concentration/control
- O = the first letter of ONE - striving to be the #1 and always standing before the 1 - 0, 1, 2, 3, ... ;-)